Wednesday, April 6, 2011

No, not Russia. But a bit of Canada, if you look just right

Yes, my clattering* of regular readers, you are looking right at a No Logo Thursday entry since October 7.  That was about the time that the overwhelming task of producing an episode of Budding Ventriloquist Presents Gridiron Gurus every week of the NFL season became, well, overwhelming.

But as the saying goes:
If you love something, let it go.  If it comes back, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was.

Well there it is. No doubt about it.  No Logo Thursday is mine! All mine! Moohhaaaa hahahah!
***
Greetings from Ely, Minnesota.  Ely is up north. Way up north. It's up-10-miles-from-the-Canadian-border- north.

It's the home of Vermilion Community College, where my son is going to school next fall.  And I must say, I like it here.

I just want to share a few quick observations about Ely:
  • It's a nice-sized town. Big enough to have a community feel. That makes me feel good for my son, because I still believe that the words "it takes a village" still are some of the more important words in the last 20 years.
  • WELY - End of the Road Radio - sounds just was wonderful coming through the air as it does streaming to my desktop at work. (Yes, IT guy. I slow the network down. Go ahead. Tell your boss on me. Oh wait, you report to me.  HAH!)
  • Everyone I told about my trip up here told me about one shop or another that I had to go to Ely. And folks, I believe you.  But when it's the first week of April, which is a lot like "still winter" up here, they are all closed, or closed at 6-ish. So I will have to see what tomorrow brings.
  • There seems to be a lot of liquor stores. A disproportionate number. I'm betting I know what the third biggest hobby up here is (after "fishin' and huntin" and "huntin' and fishin'"). This makes me feel not quite as good as before for my son. I'm sure I'll see something good tomorrow that will put this out of my mind.
  • He and I took a long walk around town and wound up watching two guys show blowing the baseball field.  I guess even here, where the snow pack will linger for weeks, when it's time to play ball, it's time to play ball.
  • I didn't bring my puppet, George, with me.  I thought about it but realized that my son might be upset by it.  I told him when we were walking that I thought about it. He said it would have really upset him. See? I'm not totally clueless, though I don't really understand what the objection it. Kids. Go figure.
  • I am looking forward to seeing more tomorrow, and enjoying the enrollment process at the school.
Overall, from what I've seen so far, there is no doubt in my mind that the only thing that would make Ely even better is having a resident ventriloquist.

***
* A clattering is a group of choughs. A chough is a member of the crow family; probably one of those members who conveniently has something else "going" when all the family holiday get-togethers happen.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails