Thursday, December 9, 2010

Just for the pun of it

If you were half as amused with last week's "state joke" presentation of the pick for the Thursday night football game as I was... then, as the joke goes...

I was twice as a amused as you were. (rim shot!)
***
Having paraded that old gem out for you, I've been itching all week to throw another state joke one out. To remind you what a state joke is:
  1. Remember the cartoon character Foghorn Leghorn, a rooster with a boastful, southern accent;
  2. Imagine me practicing Foghorn's voice, and perhaps using George, or Max LeMonk, my monkey puppet (remember him?); and
  3. And indulge me in making this pick in the form of what my brothers and I called a "state joke".  This is a pun played out in a story where the punchline is a state name, such as "Misses Hippie." City names are permissible, especially given their use here.
So, take a deep breath and hold on to your socks, here comes another state joke for the Colts/Titans game:

The other day, I was walking down the street
When I saw my old friend from New Delhi
He was looking a little peeked, so I asked him if he was feeling well.
He said he was on a special diet that cuts out all the fruit.
"Not an orange, not a grape," he said.
I told him that I didn't think that sounded healthy, but he said...
"It's okay to leave an Indian Appleless."

***
Week 13 once again showed great potential for a record number of correct picks until it didn't. The entire staff of Budding Ventriloquist Presents Gridiron Gurus was all in for the Raider Nation until last week when we picked against them. So, of course, they won. Brent Favre gets banged up and the Vikings rolled without him.  And the "best team in football" - the New York J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets -  got their tail wings handed to them.

But 10 right out of 16 is still competent, and competence is a cornerstone of this blog.

Right?
***
It's been long john weather all week here in Hudson, Wisconsin.  I haven't gotten around to getting mine out, but it's time.  They're kind of a lesson in patience: they're so slow to put on, and so slow to take off. Maybe even more, they're a lesson in changing the pace of your life.

Next week: Finding deeper meanings inside overalls.

I bet you can hardly wait. Yes, when a guy gets all philosophical about the tediousness of putting on long johns and overalls and it's not even the middle of December, it's going to be a long winter.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails