Thursday, October 28, 2010

Some natter chatter

A correction of sorts:


In the post that selected former Vice President Spiro Agnew to the "face that belongs on a ventriloquist dummy" list (the V Face List), I made reference to the phrase "nabobs of negativism." While the phrase as I used is was correct, I should have used the full phrase:


Nattering Nabobs of Negativism

I apologize for not using the phrase in it's fullest, most robust form. The addition of the word nattering (which is the same as chattering) does at some gusto.  Also, if you are trying to use this phrase when doing ventriloquism,  the addition of the word nattering provides some "audio cover" to some difficult sound substitution.


I believe the vent version would then be:


Nattering Naythod of negatidis-in


The other somewhat notorious Agnew alliterations, "pusillanimous pussyfooters" and "hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history", are difficult and not as famous or worthy of the effort. The Ps being the leading sound make it hard to smoothly disguise the substitution in the first phrase, and the "hopeless" thing just isn't a particularly useful phrase to have in your ventriloquist tool box.


Yes, I sense you are re-reading what I just said. And you did really read what I said. I do consider the ability to have my ventriloquist partner throw out an Agnewism or two to be a worthy pursuit. I always have and I always will.


And I am 90 percent sure I know what you just thought as you read that, too.  And in reply, I say to you, "Oh yea! YOU get a life!"


I have feelings, you know.
***
Quoting Spiro Agnew, like a good impersonation of Walter Brennan or Andy Devine or Hubert Humphrey, is a lost art.  But, being lost and being dead are two different things.


You might ask why, if I do such a good impersonation of Walter Brennan, don't I use that when I'm performing with George.  The answer to that question is simple:  Because that's not how George's voice sounds.


Duh.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails