Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sixer, Fiver, Fourer, Threer, Twoer, Oner....

Dear NASA and President Obama:

How are ya?

Just want to know something: Is it just that it's me wanting to be the first ventriloquist in space that is dragging the funding effort out? Obviously, there's something I don't understand, because other seemingly exotic efforts are making it into space.


Then again, don't think that I'm disparaging them. For instance, being a Milwaukeean by birth and by hearts desire, the beer thing was really cool. 


You were briefed about this, weren't you, Mr. President?


Japanese researchers conducted experiments on the space station on growing barley. And, of course, when the barley was returned to earth, what better way of seeing if it had special properties than turning it into beer. If you don't understand the logic of making beer out of it rather than, say, bread, I suggest you ask someone in your administration with Wisconsin roots. They'll be happy to explain, and if you throw in a buck or two for a case, demonstrate why making beer is preferable.


The six packs that are now on sale of the beer made from the space barley are going for over $100.  I was saving for a sixer, then I found out that you have to be Japanese just to enter the lottery for it.


And now, some folks from 4-Pines Brewing Company and Saber Aeronautics Australia are teaming up figure out how to brew beer in space. Granted, they've barely got this effort off the ground... (Oops, sorry, Mr. O. I just knew I couldn't avoid that line forever. But I bet if you read this to Michelle, she'll get a giggle out of it.)


So, I guess I can handle that "beer in space" is a higher priority than "ventriloquist in space." 


George (my puppet partner) and I just want you to know that these two ideas don't need to be mutually exclusive.  In fact, George and I see combining these efforts as the obvious "next step."


In these times of tight budgets, it only seems prudent.


Yours in space,






Dan Bushman
Budding Astronaut
Budding Ventriloquist
American

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails