Monday, October 25, 2010

Maldives in the moonlight


Salam, teman-teman baru saya di Maladewa, ke Budding Ventriloquist Blog.


Greetings, my new friends in the Maldives, to the Budding Ventriloquist Blog.

My blog was visited by someone in Maldives, a nation made up of a group of 28 atolls in the Indian Ocean.

maldives map
I know I’ve said this before, but this truly is a world wide web, and inside that web are places that I had no idea existed. Who knew, besides the good half-million people of Maldives and the people of the Lakshadweep Islands of India, that Maldives were even there.



(At this point, I am wondering if I’m annoying the Maldivans by mentioning the Lakshadweep Islands. It’s kind of like you always mention one place in terms of its location to the other, like everyone refers to Chicago as the city just south of Milwaukee. At least, that’s how everyone I grew up with in Milwaukee described Chicago that way. I’m sure Chicago still wishes it had more of its own identity.)

It is heartwarming that someone in a place like Maldives might just be a fellow budding ventriloquist. My research revealed that Maldives has a growing tourist industry, and that tourism is now bigger than fishing.  And where there’s tourists, I have to think ventriloquists are not far behind.*

Did you know:
  • Maldives made a scuba diving record in 2006 for the largest number of scuba divers participating in one dive, with a grand total of 958 divers descending into the water at the same time. This record has since been overtaken by Indonesia in 2009.
    • Let's see what Indonesia does when a record number of ventriloquists hit the beaches of the Maldives.
  • Maldives was the first country to open a virtual embassy, in the online world Second Life, on 22 May 2007.
    • I think for giving the Maldives all this free publicity and positive buzz, they could put a link to Budding Ventriloquist on their embassy website.
  • Maldives was the first country to hold a cabinet meeting underwater.
    • Who will be the first nation to hold an all ventriloquist cabinet meeting? I know you haven't been thinking about it, but now that I brought it up, it's going to be on your mind, isn't it.


***
Budding Ventriloquist actually has gone globally viral.  Really. There's dozens of new countries I need to research to learn about their ventriloquism scene and write about. Many of them will require some inspired creativity in research . Finding ventriloquists, especially in the Middle East and Asia and Africa, is not exactly easy. I am picking up a bit of Spanish to cover Latin America, too.

Please remember, I am a ventriloquism journalist. The stuff you read here is for you knowledge and education to help you better understand your world.

I do, however, have something special in mind for Malta.**
***
* A search on The Google with the words "Maldives" and "Ventriloquist" netted no real hits, although I now know that there are jobs for marketing professionals in Maldives, provided legal status to be a Maldive resident can be achieved. 

How The Google produced that job posting board given my search request just proves... something.

** Pretty good teaser, huh?

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails