Tuesday, August 3, 2010

VDU Week - Day 2: The doppelganger tradition

It's already Day 2 of:


Today's video is of  Darren Carr and Darold. (See Darren's Bio from where I'm flagrantly ripping off his bio.) According to his bio, Darren is considered Australia's number one ventriloquist.  I would say from watching this video that he certainly knows his craft.


I do like his bio lead-in quite a bit:
At the tender age of eight, Darren Carr started playing with dolls and talking to himself. Luckily for him, coming from a show business background, this was not only considered to be quite normal, but actually encouraged.
(I do hope there's a future for guys like me, freshly 50, only starting to play with dolls, and only a grandpa* who played piano in my genetic make-up.  I have, to my credit, always talked to myself.)


Most impressive is his partner Darold - who carries on the doppelganger** tradition in the ventriloquist world by being the spitting image of Darren. I was agog at the likeness. It's a wow.


Darren also does one of my favorite schticks - the "human dummy" routine.


Enjoy.

***
* A note on my grandfather's piano playing:  He lived past 100 and until his last few years, he loved sitting with any of his 31 grandchildren who wanted to play Galway Bay or Won't You Come Home, Bill Bailey? It is a warm memory to have shared those moments with him.


It's also a warm memory that my old friend Tammy's dad, one of the most wonderful spirits I've ever known, once taught me this little ditty about my grandpa's piano playing:


Oh I want to play piano in a whorehouse
Just like my granddaddy used to do
I'd give up all my riches
To play for those old...
Women
I want to play piano in a whorehouse
Without my pants on.

Though I'm probably going to be in trouble with the rest of the grandkid horde (grandpa was a postal clerk and certainly never visited, much less played piano in, a brothel), these memories fit nicely together for me.
***
** From Wikipedia:  In fiction, folklore, and popular culture, a doppelgänger is a tangible double of a living person that typically represents evil. In the vernacular, the word doppelgänger has come to refer (as in German) to any double or look-alike of a person.


Although he's never mentioned it in public, I may be Robert DeNiro's doppelganger.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails