Wednesday, July 7, 2010

More George time

Just for a point of reference, I started Budding Ventriloquist with the idea of posting a diary of my progress learning ventriloquism. I admit I've interpreted that quest broadly, covering the ventriloquism angle of the Winter Olympics, going on mystic quests, and even coining the term Blog Oleo.*

Is it bad to admit I've been having more fun writing about ventriloquism than working on ventriloquism with a pretty limited dummy and a monkey puppet?**

But with the blessed event of George arriving for my 50th birthday, I am feeling some steam beneath my feet about practicing actual ventriloquism (or whatever the metaphor or simile or whatever is. You know what I'm trying to say).

Tonight I watched the Milwaukee Brewers game with him, and worked some voices with him. It was great to just play and get comfortable working with him. It was especially fun to have him talk to my teenagers.  The result was:
  • My 19-year-old son got into a cussing match with him, and thinks he's creepy.
  • My daughter refuses to talk directly to him. Absolutely refuses. 
    • She did screw up and say to George, "Excuse me, I'm talking to my father."
(Those of you who are both parents of teens and old enough to remember the movie Apocalypse Now will understand the following statement,)

I love the reaction my kids had tonight. Like napalm, it smelled like... victory.

For those of you who need a movie tutorial, here is the famous scene with the famous line by the great Robert Duvall. Duvall, by the way, is on the most recent list of finalists for the "face that belongs on a ventriloquist dummy" list. What do you think, my ever growing murmuration*** of regular readers?


I had that exact feeling, except it was the feeling that even in some delusional way, I have gain a little upper hand with my teenagers.  And I don't have the cool hat.

Yes, I know.  It is delusional.
***
*    Blog Oleo is a post that is a cheap substitute for actual writing, like oleo is to butter. Remember?
**  Steed the dummy and Max the monkey puppet are not speaking to me. I'm not sure what to do about it. Have any of you other ventriloquists had this happen?
*** A murmuration is a group of starlings.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails