Wednesday, May 19, 2010

73* Days and counting down... under

Yes, it's only 73* days to:
Prep work continues.

I continue to work on my ventriloquism in preparation for the big event.  My latest arrow in the quiver of ... whatever**... is setting the voice on my GPS to an Australian guy who can't stop calling me "mate." That way I have an authentic accent to model my dummy's voice after.

I do love the music of the accent, and it's a bit novel to have the measures in metric. But I can figure out  when to "turn left in 50 meters, mate."

Over this upcoming weekend, I'm going to take a long drive just to see if it warns me when I'm approaching a dingo crossing, or see if it says, "Crikey, slow down, mate. There's a copper." 
***
At first, I wasn't too impressed with the GPS. It's something I won, you see, and I grew up reading maps, so I couldn't fathom why anyone would need such a thing.

But, it's nice to have someone to talk to in the car. And now it's helping me with ventriloquism. How cool is that?

Just when I thought I was running out of opportunities to make new friends, I won one.
***
*73. A prime number. A number that can only be divided by itself and one.

Yet another way Budding Ventriloquist separates itself from mainstream media is by looking conventions in the eye and saying, "Way wit'cha."

The big convention taking a tumble is doing milestone reporting on tired old numbers like 80 or 75 or 60 or 50. Sure, you and everyone else are comfortable with a multiple of 10 or a number with a quarterly quality, but where's the adventure in that? The sense of mystery?

I mean, don't you ever just want to crawl into a four poster bed just because it's different? Just because it makes your imagination run wild? Like there's a whole different kind of sleep?  (It does make your imagination run wild, just like it does mine - doesn't it? I know, I know... provided you don't have one. But I know you see my point...)

So I'm going to be doing Down Under promo pieces on a schedule of prime numbers. There's 73 days to the big Ventriloquists Down Under Week, and it's likely the next promo will be with 59 days to go.

By the way, if you really want to, you can figure out if something is a prime number by applying the sieve of Eratosthenes, which is pretty elegant. The more modern Sieve of Atkin is just plain geeky.  If you follow both links, I'm sure you'll agree.

Or maybe you might just bookmark this post, because here's a chart of prime numbers under 100.
***
** Sometimes when you write, do you ever get stuck in the middle of a metaphor or a simile with no way out?

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails