Monday, March 15, 2010

That old March Madness has me in its spell

March Madness, aka the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, has reared it's mad head again. This year I'm thrilled to have this blog up and running, because I finally get to do something tangible to pay special tribute to the 1977 Champion Marquette Warriors.*

Specifically, I wish to honor the late, great coach Al McGuire. The 1970s were an awesome time to be following basketball in Milwaukee. The Bucks had Lew Alcindor** and Oscar Robertson and a world championship, and Marquette was an elite college team with a colorful coach.

I am proud to add Al McQuire to the "face that belongs on a ventriloquist dummy" list. Al's sense of humor and his infectous smile are in so many ways what ventriloquism should be all about. I'm sure Al would have been delighted to know his name made the V-face List.

How cool was he?

With proper attributions to Jennifer Taglione, owner of  the website Stiletto Sports, I humbly lift her remarkable reporting that:

After hours of searching I can finally reveal that the term “the Big Dance” was coined in 1977 by Marquette University Head Coach Al Maguire. Here’s what Kevin Byrne, the former Sports Information Director of Marquette University said.
"The year we won it all [1977], Coach McGuire wore a lucky blue blazer. At the end of the season, a reporter asked him if he’d keep wearing it during the Tournament. Al said, “Absolutely. You gotta wear the blue blazer when you go to the big dance.” ~Answer Guy, ESPN
Can you name a Charlie McCarthy quip with that staying power?
***
* Now called the Golden Eagles. I'll rant about this over-application of political correctness some other time.
** If you don't know who Lew Alcindor was, use The Google and find out.
***
Were you thinking, "It's Monday. Where's my Budding Ventriloquist Mystic Moment?

Discussing the concept with a co-worker of routinely doing Mystic Moment Monday as a way of normalizing a posting schedule, he said, "that's not very mystic, is it? To have it be regular?"

Of course, he is correct. I'm not even sure I should be hinting that there's a Mystic Moment right around the corner. To keep it a little mysterious, I should suggest that I could just be referring to how there can be a great revelation around every corner...

You're not falling for that, are you?
***
Yes, I talk to co-workers about the fact that I write a blog about ventriloquism, the world of ventriloquism, the spiritual essence of ventriloquism, the mystic underpinnings of ventriloquism...

They seem to accept it. They don't eat with me at lunch, but they accept it.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails