Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I'll take a beef, tomato, and sardine sandwich on wry

Hola España!

Just because the Olympics are over, that doesn't mean that a visit from a new country doesn't deserve a hearty Hola!

But, instead of checking out their athletic prowess (and potentially generating a whole new Slovenian Quagmire - you remember that fiasco?), I hoped to highlight some fascinating aspect of the country's entertainment scene.

Now, that works for Spain big time.  This country has the wackiest festival (of Fiesta) scene on earth.  and it only starts with the insanity of the San Fermin festival in Pamplona. Thousands of daredevils (how politically correct!) from all over the world run with the bulls through the cobbled streets of the old town.

(Attention, Mr. Mayor of Hudson, WI:
Our sleepy little burg needs this event!
I bet you think I'm kidding, but it's no bull!)


But why stop there?  Whenever I'm bored with my working-stiff American lifestyle, my mind doesn't go to Carolina, it to the the Tomatina in the village of Buñol. It’s the world’s biggest tomato fight involving tens of thousands of people being pelted with thousands of tomatoes.

(Attention, Mr. Mayor of Hudson, WI:
Our sleepy little burg needs this event!
I'll head up a committee, you call the garden club.)

And for those of you who are church goers, why miss the "Burial of the Sardine” fiesta held in Madrid and elsewhere every Ash Wednesday. Revelers in fancy dress costumes attending the funeral of a sardine!

(Attention, Mr. Mayor of Hudson, WI:
Our sleepy little burg needs this event!
When's the next council meeting?
Or did you give those up for Lent, too?)

More can be learned about Spanish Festivals at http://www.spanish-living.com/entertainment_index.php.

And low and behold, to round out Spain as an entertainment Mecca, there are ventriloquists (ventriloquia), too. Here's a clip of the very popular Isodoro Golman. Isodoro is obviously a seasoned professional, with a smooth style.  I picked what my naive eye estimated was the most Spaniard-y of his characters.

Enjoy.


***
Am I ever going to complete the epic "Down Under" tribute?  Guess you'll just have to keep checking in. It's going to be a humdinger.
***
Visits from Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi, no less) have presented a big challenge: If they have entertainment and ventriloquism info online, it's in أربيك.  It's really hard to search the web in أربيك. Especially when you don't speak أربيك.
***
Someone from Chile also visited BV, but I've only managed to find ventriloquist video from Argentina. I can't quite just assume that the Chileans will take kindly to me thinking Argentina is "close enough."

If Chileans reacted to that like I do when people talk about where I live in Wisconsin as "just like Minnesota"... oh, please stop me from starting another international incident.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails