Friday, February 26, 2010

Finally, they're Russian in

Приветствуйте, мои российские друзья, к Подающей надежды Зиме Чревовещателя Олимпийский Охват.

Welcome, my Russian friends, to the Budding Ventriloquist Winter Olympic Coverage.

There was a day when the mighty, mighty Soviet Union was the odds on favorite to take home half the medals - and Americans hated them for it. Now, a much humbler Russia takes only their share, but are much more likable about it.


They've picked up bunches of medals, so I'm chosing to highlight the women's Olympic biathlon relay gold medal for the second Olympics in a row. Why? First, the idea of a team of Russian Annie Oakleys on skis has the potential for muscial theater. (Okay, I know you're not seeing it right away.  But now that you're thinking it, I guarantee you'll get there.)

Then, just say the team's roster aloud: Olga Zaitseva, Svetlana Sleptsova, Anna Bogaliy-Titovets and Olga Medvedtseva. If that isn't music, do you ever hear it?

Russian ventriloquism actually has a notiable - Gregory  Donskoi ( 1865-1956).  He was the first great Russian ventriloquist, known for creating 11 different voices in his act and for using life-sized figures. He also made a real dog speak. Performed for the Russian troops during the Russian Revolution (1917) and World War II. (Thanks to Ventriloquist Central for this information. It's a great resourse in so many ways.)

Interestingly, life-sized figures also is the feature of some fun from the current Russian ventriloquist world.  I had do resourceful googling to find it.  What I know is it's from the World Festival of Circus Art on Poklonnoj Mountain, Moscow in 2009.  I would gladly give more info.  I'd just beam if I had a Russian visitor to BV help me.

It could lead to a breakthough in US-Russian relations.  Remember ping-pong diplomacy?


 ***

I really don't want to get in the habit of putting someone on the "Face that belongs on a ventriloquist dummy" list just because of an awkward or ridiculous picture taken at a happenstance moment.  And to make fun of an amateur athlete could be a little unkind. Yea, I don't want to, but I will.

This picture of Medalist Russian Speed Skater Ivan Skobrev really can't be ignored. I will remind you - being on the V List is the highest honor I can bestow. The mouth, the eyes, the hair - a trifecta of V Face-ness is right there.

One day, young man, this will be as proud an award for you as your medal. Really.
***
I know from a visitor monitor gizmo that my visitor from the Russian Federation curiously came to check out a blog post called More From the Underground.  I guess I'll forever be old school, but the Russians searching for articles on the underground is very "future Hitchock movie" to me.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails