Thursday, December 10, 2009

All Gaga? Na.



I just saw a face, I couldn't forget the time or place.  It was on youtube.com, and it was a great, fun, wild video by Lady Gaga. It was just the cat's pajamas.*

I even started writing a song:

"I thought to myself, that face...
Could it be, should it be that face
The world be waiting for that face
To belong on a ventriloquist dummy?"**

I was so convinced. A shoe-in. A "well, duh!" All it would take was to look for some photos on The Google to confirm it.

But, alas, she didn't cut the mustard.* She's an outstanding, creative performer, but the " V face list" isn't about that. It's about remarkably interesting face shapes and features.

It might be I was reaching to be hip.*  Putting someone on the list that was current might make me a little current. That, however, is in direct contrast with my nature.  I wasn't current when I was current. I grew up on Ed Sullivan, and remember when The Johnny Carson Show was broadcast from New York.

Ahh, nostalgia. The great old acts of the great old days. So I give you possibly my all time favorite face from the past:

Comedian Moms Mabley.

Sorry, Joe Torre (The inaugural perfect "V face"), you got company at the top of the list now.

***
To understand that this pick is really pretty inspired, check out Moms on The Flip Wilson Show. I need to find better clips of her in her heyday. There was a time when comedy wasn't poop just jokes and vulgarities. She was from then, and was funnier for it.
***
*  Phrases/terms/words that tell you I'm too old to pretend to be new.  Saying "hip" is not hip.
** I made up a sweet melody to go along with the lyrics. It will cost you a beer to hear it, though.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails