Sunday, November 8, 2009

Yes, Virginia, there sure is.

When I watched the clip of Indian Ventriloquist, Puppeteer & Puppet Maker Ramdas Padhye on the Ramdas Padhye Show, I showed my wife. I thought she might be interested in how ventriloquism is an international phenomenon.

Instead, her most direct reaction was to the bit at the end where Ramdas performs with his wife and puppeter, Aparna.

"Bet you wish you had a wife who did ventriloquism with you," she said. Of course my reply was a very articulate, "Hell, yea."

It just made me think of the possibilities with a male/female ventriloquist team with male and female dummies:


Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Edward Albee's classic play.  I'm pondering what would work better - my wife and I as the older, dysfunctional couple, the younger dysfunctional couple, or a mix.  I think this would resolve itself once we'd start blocking.


Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice, the groundbreaking 1960s movie that was groundbreaking because it was.  I'd have to be Ted, because I have a brother named Bob. Or should I be Bob, so that my brother Bob doesn't get pissed that a dummy is named after him? My wife is definitely Natalie Wood in more than a few parts of my imagination.

White Christmas would perhaps be the ultimate display of ventriloquism and puppeting skill with singing and dancing.  Although my wife and I are definitely the Bing Crosby and Rosemay Clooney characters, I'd have to do the Danny Kaye part only so I could have the "best thing happen when I'm dancing" with the Vera Ellen dummy. Destined to be a holiday classic. And, other than the word "bells", the song White Christmas is virtually free of the ventriloquism sounds from hell (Bs, Vs, Ps, Ms, etc).

But, alas, my bride is not a ventriloquist, nor does she want to be.

Come to think of it, I'm not a ventriloquist yet, either. But I have a plan and big visions - and that counts a lot.
***
Thanks to my regular reader for the Ramdas Padhye links.  It's fascinating. You're the best.  Yes, I still say "regular reader" - singular.

No comments:

While you're still laughing, read this:

Related Posts with Thumbnails